Monday, June 14, 2010

Welcoming Kokopelli

I have been "chomping at the bit" for over 6 months to hang my Kokopelli. A very thoughtful Christmas gift from my sister-in-law in Arizona who paid lots of attention to my interest in Native American art. I knew the moment I unwrapped it that it belonged in my new stairwell, so waited patiently to put it on display (not always one of my virtues!).

Here is what people see as they enter our new home. I decided to pair my Kokopelli with some Mexican (Mayan) ceramics I have accumulated over the years, creating a sort of "First People's" theme (first people of North America that is!). The last wooden stick-like figure at the top of the stairs is actually a wooden carving I picked up in Cuba that is very African-esk. Not first people's per se, but still not a bad fit with the theme in the stairwell.






We plan on re-painting the stairs, and possibly adding a runner carpet going up the last stretch around the corner. Both for noise insulation, as well as to "warm" the stairwell a little. I'm thinking persian-esk (not real!) with earthy colours, possibly with a little earthy red woven in.

No comments: