Thursday, November 11, 2010

At the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11 Month

Today is November 11th, the day Canada celebrates Rememberance Day in honour of all our Veterans. Most celebrations are held just before 11am, with most of the country observing a moment of silence at 11am sharp.

For some reason I have noticed many more people this year making an active effort to remind people of Remebernace Day. Perhaps it is because we are still loosing troops in Afghanistan on a regular basis, or maybe it is a reaction to our current government's appaling foreign policy that has seen our country remouved from the UN Security Council. Many Canadians have been absolutely appalled by this turn of recent events. The UN Peace Keeping force, was, afterall, a Canadain born idea.

Unfortunately I will be in session at 11am, and much to my dismay will not be able to observe the moment of silence in honour of all of Canada's lost Veterans. So I am taking the time here to make that observance. I'll also leave you with this song written by an East Coast musician. He wrote it based on a personal experience he had - at 11am on November 11th he was in a Drugstore in Nova Scotia, when an announcement came over the PA system asking all patrons and staff to observe the moment of silence along with the rest of the country. Everyone in the Drugstore save one man accompanid by a child remained silent for the requested 2 minutes. The man in question not only ignored the silence, but became irate when the cashier would not serve him. The musician in question was so outraged, that he eventually wrote this song. I think the lyrics speak for themselves.

No comments: